The International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) has confirmed the end of its employment relationship with Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour, weeks after he publicly criticized FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s plan to sell a stake in the commercial activities of competitions organized by the governing body, including the World Cup.
اضافة اعلان
A FIFA spokesperson said on Monday: “FIFA confirms that the employment relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour, in his capacity as Chief Operating Officer, ended on August 17, 2026.”
The spokesperson added: “FIFA thanks Kevin for his services over the past two years and wishes him all the best in the future. The organization will make no further comment on the matter.”
FIFA Secretary General Matthias Grafström informed staff and council members of Lamour’s departure in a message on Monday, saying the two sides had “agreed to separate” following recent discussions, according to Sky News.
Lamour publicly criticized the proposal last month, saying FIFA employees had been “misled” about the plan and describing it as a “one-person project.”
“Our mission is to serve football, not to serve the personal interests of someone who unfortunately believes he embodies FIFA, when his real role is to serve the institution,” Lamour said in a statement at the time.
Lamour’s comments came hours after Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, resigned in protest over the proposal, describing it as a “bad deal for football.”
Lamour joined FIFA in November 2024, having previously been part of Infantino’s inner circle that led his campaign for the FIFA presidency in 2016.
The project sparked widespread internal divisions within FIFA. It involved creating a $20 billion subsidiary to manage the federation’s competitions, including the World Cup, with plans to sell up to 20% of its shares to external investors.
FIFA later abandoned the plan in the face of a wave of opposition and criticism.