U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that he halted a planned attack on Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington, adding that there is a “very good chance” of reaching an agreement to limit Iran’s nuclear program.
اضافة اعلان
After Iran submitted the new peace proposal to the United States, Trump said he instructed the U.S. military that “we will not carry out the planned attack on Iran tomorrow,” while also directing them to remain prepared to proceed with a large-scale comprehensive attack at any moment if an acceptable agreement is not reached.
The attack had not previously been announced, and it remains unclear whether preparations had been underway for military action that could have reignited the conflict launched by Trump in late February.
Amid pressure to secure an agreement that would help reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Trump earlier expressed hope that a deal to end the war could be within reach, while also threatening severe strikes against Iran if no agreement is achieved.
Trump said in his post that the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE had asked him to delay the attack because “the deal will be made and will be very acceptable to the United States and all countries in the Middle East and beyond.” He did not provide details about the proposed agreement.
Later, Trump told reporters that the United States would be satisfied with an agreement preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
“It looks like there’s a very good chance they’ll work something out. If we can achieve that without bombing them heavily, I’d be very happy,” he said.
Trump’s announcement came after Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed that Tehran’s views had been conveyed to the U.S. side through Pakistan, though he provided no further details.
A Pakistani source confirmed that Islamabad had delivered the latest proposal to Washington, but noted that progress remains difficult, saying both sides continue changing their conditions and “we don’t have much time.”
Iran maintained a defiant tone in statements carried by state media following Trump’s announcement, warning the United States and its allies against making any “strategic mistakes or miscalculations” by attacking the country again, and asserting that Iran’s armed forces are “more prepared and stronger than before.”
According to a senior Iranian source, the proposal focuses on ending the war, reopening the Strait of Hormuz, and lifting maritime sanctions.
The same source said Washington had shown greater flexibility, including agreeing to release part of Iran’s frozen assets and allowing some peaceful nuclear activity under International Atomic Energy Agency supervision. However, the United States has not officially confirmed any such concessions.
A fragile ceasefire remains in effect after nearly six weeks of conflict, despite apparent drone launches by Iran and allied groups from Iraq toward Gulf states, including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
Saudi Arabia said it intercepted three drones that entered its territory from Iraqi airspace.
Reuters