Aqaba ports expect more cargo ships for Ramadan despite region turmoil

2. Aqaba Container Terminal (ACT) copy
(File photo: Jordan News)
AMMAN — Aqaba ports have witnessed the arrival of ships carrying various goods for Ramadan, with expectations high for an increase in the pace of arrivals in the coming days, particularly with ships en route to Aqaba despite recent geopolitical events in the region. اضافة اعلان

The Aqaba ports, including the main port, container terminal, and additional docks, have finalized plans to address potential hurdles and ensure the seamless flow of goods in collaboration with stakeholders and customs authorities. Efforts are geared towards averting crisis, congestion, or container stacking by bolstering the port workforce and minimizing inspection targeting rates, notably for transit and customs-bound goods, through electronic container tracking systems, Al-Ghad reported.

Director General of Aqaba Company for Ports Operation and Management (ACPOM), Mahmoud Khalifat, announced that significant measures have been implemented to streamline the flow of goods to Aqaba Port in collaboration with relevant authorities. As a result, southern ports are fully equipped to handle all Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr goods, anticipating the arrival of numerous ships carrying essential supplies for the occasions.

Khalifat emphasized the continuous operation of Aqaba Port and the passenger terminal, ensuring uninterrupted food and general goods supply chains to various provinces of the kingdom, operating round the clock for smooth and effortless distribution.

Commercial sector's efforts in Aqaba
Vice Chairman of the Aqaba Chamber of Commerce, Rami Riyateh highlighted the concerted efforts of the commercial sector and diverse markets in Aqaba to supply ample quantities of Ramadan essentials, catering to the requirements of Jordanians.

On the other hand, Chamber Member Salama Al-Maayta affirmed that the commercial sector in Aqaba has made essential goods available at affordable prices for all segments of society, emphasizing the convening of meetings with various commercial sectors to guarantee the consistent availability of essential goods, particularly during the auspicious month of Ramadan and throughout 2024.

Supervisory efforts of ASEZA
Additionally, City Commissioner at the Aqaba Special Economic Zone Authority (ASEZA), Abdullah Najadat emphasized that the authority's supervisory endeavors will concentrate, in the period preceding Ramadan, on conducting a thorough inspection of food markets, wholesale markets, and malls. This effort aims to verify the quality and storage conditions of food items, inspect bakeries for readiness and adherence to health standards, and scrutinize date storage facilities, natural juice vendors, and Ramadan beverage outlets to ensure compliance with health regulations.

Najadat cautioned that the health supervision teams within the authority will enforce stringent measures against food establishments found to be in violation of regulations and health standards. He noted that the plan entails deploying health inspection teams round the clock, following a specialized program comprising morning and evening shifts to conduct field supervisory rounds. These rounds include collecting samples of food available in markets for laboratory testing in authority laboratories. Additionally, the teams will diligently track and address all complaints and observations received through various communication channels, ensuring prompt resolution.

Notably, the Jordan Maritime Commission reported a 45 percent decrease in handling volume at Aqaba Port in January 2024, attributed to conditions in the Red Sea. Despite this, Jordan continues to import approximately 420,000 containers annually through Aqaba Port. Of these, around 260,000 containers, equivalent to 62 percent, are transported via the Red Sea, while the remaining 38 percent are brought in through the Suez Canal.

Read more National news
Jordan News