The United States does not support Israel’s annexation of the occupied West Bank, a US State Department spokesperson said, according to Axios.
The spokesperson said President Donald Trump has made Washington’s position clear, stressing that maintaining stability in the West Bank serves Israel’s security interests and is consistent with the US administration’s goal of achieving peace in the region.
The comments came after the Israeli government issued tenders for the construction of a new settlement in the E1 area east of occupied Jerusalem, drawing widespread international condemnation.
Trump had previously said on November 26, 2025, that he would not allow Israel to annex the West Bank, following calls from members of the Israeli government to pursue such a move, which could further undermine prospects for a two-state solution.
Meanwhile, the Israeli Knesset has granted preliminary approval to two bills seeking the full annexation of the West Bank and the extension of Israeli sovereignty over the settlement of Ma’ale Adumim. The bills were referred to the Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee for further legislative deliberations.
The Israeli proposals have triggered widespread condemnation, with the measures being viewed as part of a decades-long policy aimed at consolidating control over Palestinian land, expanding settlements and restricting Palestinians.
The latest reactions followed the issuance of tenders by Israeli occupation authorities for the construction of 1,234 settlement units as part of the E1 settlement project, east of occupied Jerusalem in the West Bank.
Source: Axios