Israeli forces kill Palestinian medical student in Old City of Jerusalem

Witnesses contest police allegations

Israeli forces kill Palestinian medical student in Old City of Jerusalem
(Photo: Twitter)
AMMAN — Israeli occupation forces, on Saturday, said they shot dead  26-year-old Mohammed Khaled Alasibi from the southern Bedouin village of Houra after he allegedly grabbed a gun from an Israeli office and fired it in a scuffle in the Old City of Jerusalem, according to Israeli police. اضافة اعلان

The incident resulted in no injuries to police officers.

Palestinian witnesses challenge the police's version, saying that Alasibi, who had just finished medical school in Romania, was shot at close range while intervening in an argument between officers and a Palestinian, according to media outlets.

Shot 10 timesAccording to Palestinian sources, Alasibi was shot 10 times, reported Haaretz.

A Palestinian witness said that Israeli police had stopped a young woman who was on her way to the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, after which an argument broke out between police and people at the scene, including Alasibi.

He said that Alasibi had been shot from close range for no reason; another witness said that it was not a terror attack.

Fahad Alasibi, a relative of Mohammed said that the fact that the police have not released video evidence shows that their account is fictitious. "We know that every meter of alleyway in the Old City is recorded, and police are supposed to have (body) cameras."

‘In cold blood’Knesset member and head of the Arab Movement for Change, Ahmad Tibi said: "Once again, a cold-blooded murder has been committed, as in previous crimes by the Israeli police and all occupying forces, with a false narrative as we are accustomed to with many false narratives.”

“We demand that the video tapes be shown to the public, and any delay in showing them would only be to distort the truth and cover it up."

Passers-by reported hearing gunfire, and an AFP photographer saw scores of Israeli police deployed in the Old City at around 1am (2200 GMT Friday).

The attack occurred hours after thousands of Palestinians were at Al-Aqsa mosque complex on the second Friday of Ramadan for peaceful prayers.

More than 2,000 Israeli police officers had been deployed throughout the city.

Read more Region and World
Jordan News