October 4 2022 3:22 AM E-paper Subscribe Sign in My Account Sign out

Israel, Islamic Jihad agree separately to Egypt-backed Gaza ceasefire

Israeli bombardment kills 41 Palestinians since Friday

1. Gaza 1
Palestinians search through the rubble of a building following an overnight Israeli air strike in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, on August 7, 2022. (Photos: AFP)
GAZA, Palestinian Territories — Israel and Palestinian resistance group Islamic Jihad seperately agreed Sunday to an Egyptian-brokered ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, AFP reported Sunday, following three days of intense Israeli aggression on the strip.اضافة اعلان

At least 43 Palestinians have been killed including 15 children, and more than 300 people have been wounded since Friday, according to Al Jazeera.

Israel has carried out heavy aerial and artillery bombardments beginning Friday, with Palestinian resistance fighters firing hundreds of rockets in retaliation.

If successful, the negotiations would bring an end to the worst Israeli violence on Gaza since its 11-day war on the strip in May 2021 that killed 260 Palestinians and wounded at least 2,000 others.

In a statement late on Sunday Islamic Jihad said they had agreed to a Cairo-brokered ceasefire.


Palestinians salvage belongings from the rubble of their home, following Israeli air strikes in Gaza City, on August 7, 2022. 

“A short while ago the wording of the Egyptian truce agreement was reached, which contains Egypt’s commitment to work towards the release of two prisoners, (Bassem) Al-Saadi and (Khalil) Awawdeh,” senior Islamic Jihad member Mohammad Al-Hindi said in the statement.

Saadi was arrested in the occupied West Bank by Israeli forces on Tuesday.

Earlier in the day, an Egyptian security source said that Israel “has accepted” a ceasefire.

Muhammad Abu Salmiya, director-general of the Shifa hospital in Gaza City, said medics were treating wounded people in a “very bad condition”, warning of dire shortages of drugs, and fuel to run power generators.

“Every minute we receive injured people,” he said earlier Sunday.

Also on Sunday, hundreds of Israeli settlers escorted by Israeli occupation forces broke into the Al-Aqsa Mosque complex in occupied East Jerusalem, according to the Palestinian news agency, Wafa.

The settlers were reportedly confronted by a handful of Palestinian Muslim worshipers who held a night vigil inside the complex to foil the Israeli raids into the holy site, the news agency said.

The latest round of Israeli violence on Gaza began with the arrest this week of a senior Islamic Jihad commander in the occupied West Bank, part of a month-long Israeli military operation in the territory.

Citing a “security threat”, Israel then sealed roads around the Gaza Strip and on Friday killed Taysir Al-Jabari, a commander of the Al-Quds Brigades, in a “targeted” air strike that killed 10 civilians, including a five-year-old girl.

In overnight raids, Israeli forces detained at least 21 Palestinians in raids across the occupied West Bank, including a 22-year-old woman, according to Wafa.

Before the latest Israeli violence against Gaza, Israeli occupation forces killed at least 55 Palestinians since late March, mostly in the West Bank, the majority of whom were civilians.

Over the same period, 19 Israelis — both military personnel and non-combatants — have been killed.


Read more Region and World
Jordan News