December 5 2022 2:34 PM E-paper Subscribe Sign in My Account Sign out

Project launched for witness protection in corruption cases

2. Picture
(Photo: Petra)
AMMAN — The Jordan Transparency Center (JTC), Jordan Audit Bureau (JAB), and other official institutions launched a project funded by the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) to enhance the protection of witnesses, whistleblowers and experts in corruption cases, the Jordan News Agency, Petra, reported.اضافة اعلان

During a ceremony to launch the project on Monday, lawmaker Omar Ayasra underscored the significance of securing protection to witnesses and whistleblowers. He noted that witnesses do not have to bring up evidence.

“A witness only has to point a finger, and authorities will start the search and come up with evidence,” he clarified.

He asserted the need for witness protection in light of the low number of reports on corruption cases for fear of social harassment and character assassination.

Canadian Ambassador Tarik Ali Khan noted that Jordan and Canada are partnering in various cases, adding that the project seeks to enhance protection against corruption.

For her part, JTC CEO Hilda Ajeilat thanked donors, and explained that the project will offer a training program, seminars, and an educational media campaign.

Briefing the attendants on JAB’s regulatory role, Secretary-General Ibrahim Majali said that only 10 percent of incoming complaints are verified and followed up, while the remaining 90 percent are proved untrue.


Read more National news
Jordan News