Civil Service Bureau receives 486,000 job applications this year

Civil Service Bureau
(File photo: Jordan News)
AMMAN — President of the Civil Service Bureau, Sameh Nasser, has warned of a "widening gap" between the outputs of higher education and the needs of the job market, as the bureau received 486,000 job applications this year. اضافة اعلان

The figure represents an increase of 6.7 percent compared to the previous year, according to Al-Mamlaka TV.

Alarming indicatorsDuring a press conference on Wednesday, Nasser stated that the indicators of the bureau's employment application inventory "rings alarm bells" and stressed that young people should take advantage of available job opportunities in the private sector instead of waiting for a public sector job, given its limited availability compared to the annual number of graduates.

Nasser also revealed that 72 percent of the bureau's inventory of job applications is for women, while the remaining 28 percent is for men.

He further explained that "the bureau has received more than 37,000 new job applications, which represents half of the annual volume of bachelor's and diploma graduates."

The Civil Service Bureau launched the basic competitive examination for 2023 on Wednesday, which will be used to fill vacancies in government agencies for the current year.

The launch is based on the provisions of Article (8) of the instructions for selecting and appointing employees in government positions.

The Bureau had previously published a trial competitive examination for 2023 on its website on February 12, 2023, paving the way for the issuance of the basic competitive examination.

Available job opportunities equal or exceed number of unemployedDespite the high number of job applications, Nasser also highlighted that the available job opportunities in the local market are equal to or exceed the number of unemployed, providing some reassurance to those seeking employment.

Read more National news
Jordan News