A senior Iranian official said on Tuesday that the seriousness of the United States regarding sanctions relief on Iran, along with its abandonment of unrealistic demands, are key to ensuring the success of the nuclear negotiations in Geneva.
اضافة اعلان
The official, who requested anonymity, added that Tehran approaches the negotiating table “with serious and constructive proposals.”
The United States and Iran are holding a second round of talks in Geneva on Tuesday, following the start of discussions in February amid threats of a U.S. military strike against Iran. Tehran has emphasized a “more realistic” stance from Washington regarding its nuclear file.
U.S. President Donald Trump has been threatening Iran with military action for weeks in response to the crackdown on protests that erupted in late December, which resulted in the deaths of thousands.
Alongside reinforcing its military presence in the Middle East, Washington has warned of potential retaliation, while Tehran signaled immediate response to any aggression. The Revolutionary Guard began exercises in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday.
After intensive regional diplomatic efforts, Tehran and Washington resumed talks in Muscat on February 6. Tuesday’s round in Geneva is being hosted by Omani diplomacy.
Trump continued to pressure Tehran on Monday evening, stating that he would participate “indirectly” in the negotiations and adding, “I don’t think they want to face the consequences of not reaching an agreement.”
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, leading Tehran’s delegation, met with his Omani counterpart, Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi, on Monday. The Iranian Foreign Ministry confirmed that Araghchi presented “Iran’s views and considerations regarding the nuclear file and the lifting of U.S. and international sanctions.”
The statement emphasized Tehran’s determination to pursue “results-based diplomacy to safeguard the interests and rights of the Iranian people, as well as peace and stability in the region.”
The U.S. delegation is expected to be led by Trump’s Middle East envoy, Steve Whitcov, along with his son-in-law Jared Kushner, according to the White House.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Monday, “We hope to reach an agreement.”
These indirect negotiations, mediated by Oman, are the first between the two sides since talks collapsed last year, which ended with Israel launching a war against Iran in June. The United States intervened in that conflict by striking Iranian nuclear facilities.
Iran insists that negotiations focus solely on its nuclear program, which Western countries suspect aims to develop a nuclear weapon—a claim Tehran consistently denies. In contrast, U.S. and Western officials maintain that any agreement should also address Iran’s ballistic missile program and support for armed groups in the region.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baqaei said on Monday that, “Based on the Muscat talks, we can cautiously conclude that the U.S. stance on the Iranian nuclear issue has become more realistic.”
He stressed that “Iran’s inalienable rights under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty are recognized,” including “peaceful nuclear uses, including enrichment.”
Reuters + AFP