Jordan News | Latest News from Jordan, MENA
June 30 2022 6:59 PM ˚
e-paper Subscribe Sign in My Account Sign out

Jordan among recipients of US-donated vaccines, share undisclosed

(Photo: Unsplash)
(Photo: Unsplash)
  • +
  • -
AMMAN — The Biden Administration on Monday announced plans to allocate the remaining 55 million of the initial 80 million doses of coronavirus vaccine that the US pledged to contribute globally. Jordan — among tens of other countries — will be a recipient.اضافة اعلان

Other Arab recipients include Egypt, Iraq, Yemen, Tunisia, Oman, and the Palestinian Territories.

Of the 80 million doses, 75 percent will be shared through COVAX – a program that buys vaccines in bulk to ensure fair distribution across different countries – while the remaining 25 percent will be shared directly with “regional priorities and other recipients.”

Jordan is part of the latter group, which is made up of at least 28 other countries across which 14 million vaccines will be allocated.

Specifics regarding the types and amount of vaccines that each country will receive have yet to be shared. The US pledged to distribute the vaccines before the end of June.

According to White House statement announcing allocation plans, the first 25 million doses – which were announced earlier this month – are already being shipped.

These efforts are consistent with President Biden’s promise that the US will be an “arsenal of vaccines for the world” in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

While some vaccines will be donated from the US’ domestic supply, others will be manufactured for the purposes of being shared with other countries.

“This vaccine strategy is a vital component of our overall global effort to lead the world in the fight to defeat COVID-19 and to achieve global health security,” the White House statement read.

It added that “those most at risk, such as health care workers, should be prioritized, based on national vaccine plans.”

The statement upheld that “the United States will not use its vaccines to secure favors from other countries.”

Currently, Jordan has vaccinated over 3 million individuals, using a combination of Sinopharm, Pfizer-BioNTech, AstraZeneca, Sputnik V, and Johnson & Johnson vaccines.

The Moderna vaccine was also recently approved by the Jordan Food and Drug Administration (JFDA), it was reported.

Read more National 
 
NEWS RELATED TO