Jordan News | Latest News from Jordan, MENA
July 2 2022 1:55 AM ˚
e-paper Subscribe Sign in My Account Sign out

US to donate COVID vaccines to Jordan; amount still unclear

covid19 vaccine doses
(Photo: Unsplash)
  • +
  • -
AMMAN — The Biden Administration on Monday announced plans to allocate the remaining 55 million of the initial 80 million doses of coronavirus vaccine that the US pledged to contribute globally. Jordan — among tens of other countries — will be a recipient. اضافة اعلان

Other Arab recipients include Egypt, Iraq, Yemen, Tunisia, Oman, and the Palestinian Territories.

Of the initial 80 million doses, 75 percent will be shared through COVAX, while the remaining 25 percent will be shared directly with “regional priorities and other recipients”. Jordan is part of the latter group, which is made up of at least 28 other countries across which 14 million vaccines will be allocated.

Specifics regarding the types and amount of vaccines that each country will receive have yet to be shared. The US pledged to distribute the vaccines before the end of June.

These efforts are consistent with President Biden’s promise that the US will be an “arsenal of vaccines for the world” in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

While some vaccines will be donated from the US’ domestic supply, others will be manufactured for the purposes of being shared with other countries.

“This vaccine strategy is a vital component of our overall global effort to lead the world in the fight to defeat COVID-19 and to achieve global health security,” a White House statement announcing allocation plans read.

The statement clarified that “the United States will not use its vaccines to secure favors from other countries.”

Read more national news

 
NEWS RELATED TO