September 30 2022 4:22 PM E-paper Subscribe Sign in My Account Sign out

Survey shows industry biggest private sector employer

ACI
(File photo: Jordan News)
AMMAN — Jordanian industry is the biggest private sector employer, accounting for 30 percent of its workforce, according to a study by the Jordan Chamber of Industry released Saturday, the Jordan News Agency, Petra, reported.اضافة اعلان

The survey showed that the number of workers in the industrial sector grew by 28.2 percent during the last decade, climbing from 176,000 in 2011 to 256,000 at the end of 2021.

It revealed that males accounted for 66 percent of the total industry workforce, while women made up the remaining 34 percent.

The food and catering industry is the highest employer of males, at 25 percent of the total male workers in the industrial sector, while the leather and textile industries are the highest employer of female labor, at 78 percent of the total female workers in the industrial sector, the study concluded.

The study also showed the industrial sector's ability to generate more job opportunities despite the challenges and difficulties it faced during the last period, including political and economic crises at the regional and global levels.

In the analysis of the labor capital density matrix and worker productivity, the food and catering industries are promising, being the most influential sub-industrial sectors in the labor market in terms of generating jobs and attracting more investments, while chemicals is among sectors with a density high capital, leather and textile industries among the labor-intensive sectors, and wood and furniture industries among the sectors in need of support.

Fathi Al-Jaghbir, president of Jordan and Amman Chambers of Industry, stressed the importance of the sector in employment and cutting unemployment as it is "the most capable of creating job opportunities in the national economy."

In the analysis of average employment in various economic activities, the average number of workers in an industrial establishment is up to 11, compared to 4 in other economic sectors, which corroborates the industry's ability to create jobs, he said.


Read more Business
Jordan News